The genesis of adopting the name Seneca, initially came from a connection to Larry’s family – all of whom are strong and very independent women. Along with his wife Christina, who herself was a pioneer in commercial real estate, Larry takes immense joy and pride in the fact that his four daughters are independent and successful young women who are each excelling by following a path of doing what makes them happy.
If one thinks about the history of women seeking independence and fairness in America, one inevitably must consider the first women’s convention held in Seneca Falls in 1848. Thus, the origin of our company name initially developed.
While considering the name Seneca from that perspective Larry and Christina came upon the Roman philosopher Seneca (the Younger) – born Lucius Annaeus Seneca (4 B.C. to 65 A.D.) who was a writer and playwright, philosopher and is most identified with the Hellenistic philosophy of Stoicism. Seneca is quoted daily in modern life and his embrace of virtue and good works created a contrast to philosophers consumed with the theoretical.
Seneca preached for a pragmatic and productive life with a commitment to ethical behavior. Enjoy some of his wisdom:
- “Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.”
- “If one does not know what port they are steering to, no wind is favorable to him.”
- “It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.”
- “It should be our care not so much to live a long life as a satisfactory one.”
- “Many things have fallen only to rise higher.”
- “Count each separate day as a separate life.”
- “Delay not; swift the flight of fortune’s greatest favors.”
- “It is a rough road that leads to the heights of greatness.”